Friday, September 19, 2008

Jordy's First Cultural Experience

Today we visited the beautiful Singapore Arts Museum. The building itself is worth a visit ( it used to be St. Joseph's School ) and today we had the added attraction of a special exhibition of Vietnamese Art After 1990. The work was especially poignant for us reminding us of our visit to Hanoi last April. One of the works, a cluster of models of buildings we recognised was one of the favs.
After a wonder enjoying the art and ambiance we headed off to Dome, quite an upmarket cafe where we enjoyed a very refreshing lunch -
While Dora gave wee Jordy his afternoon feed I wondered around Chimes which is a sureal garden eating place looking for a wee church that I remembered from my very first visit to Singapore. It is one of those places that I have carried with me in my mind's eye and will continue to do so as it was as still and as peaceful as I'd remembered. It is the simplicity and the whiteness that I love.
Back to Dome to pick up wee whanau and as it was still so very very hot and not quite time to head back home we took a relaxing wee forest walk to Bukit Chandu which is a historic rememberence park commemerating the Battle for Singapore during World War 11. It is a poiganant place and has amazing views. It would have been good to visit the museum but although wee cherub was enjoying his afternoon emensely Dora & I both knew that we would be pushing the boundaries to put him through another cultural experience.

So another perfect day with little cherub. I am trying not to think that this magic visit is nearly over but I am beginning to feel a shadow of sorrow.

It is now 7:15 and David has arrived home with delicious tea. David works very long hours here compared to NZ working time but now it's the weekend and he can look forward to special time with his little family.

No comments: