Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Homeward Bound




As the plane lifted off from Singapore Airport I felt an overwhelming grief for my loved ones I was leaving behind but what wonderful memories to take with me. It was the most amazing 3 weeks spending every day with wee Jordy and now I can share all my stories with my family here.
When we flew over the Southern Alps I knew I was nearly home. For an all night flight the time went well and I managed to entertain myself with 3 good movies: Deception ( recommended highly ) Summer House ( a French Drama ) and Looking Forward ( Kevin Spacey )
Customs in CHCH was an interesting experience as I knew it would be. The large Chinese Box I just had to have to keep special memories had to be declared and the Customs Officer and I had a great time undoing all my wrapping and then making it secure again for the flight to Dunedin. Dora, the big strong plastic bag came in very handy here. The Officer was a new dad and he'd been up all night with his wee teething babe - you can imagine our conversation! He also thought it prudent to clean my sneakers before they came into the country so I now have very sterialised sneakers!
I arrived in Dunedin to a beautiful spring day and even coming from Singapore's heat it wasn't cold at all. ( if my flight had been today I wouldn't have made it home cos flights into Dn have been cancelled due to strong winds ) Wonderful Margaret was there to meet me and we spent an hour or so sitting out in the sun chatting about "you know who!" Celia and Margaret have been avid blogger & picasa visitors and of course are very very delighted with the new member of the family. Margaret had even kindly bought me food and the garden man I'd arranged to do lawns and a wee tidy up of the garden had done a great job so my homecoming was not so bad at all.
It feels wierd to hang washing out on line after Singapore drying system.
It has made it easier to come home to Springtime though - Dalmeny looks not too bad when the sun is shining. I wonder what Jordy will think of the big hill!


I am really missing my Daughter In Law. Have had a great old time trying to transfer photos on to the computer and then transfering to blog! It's not letting me transfer easily for some reason and I have had to do it all sorts of round about ways to accomplish this - hmmm - very frustrating...
David's just text to say Dora & Jordy are watching Gilmore Girls. How lovely that I can picture the exact scene! Coro's on here.

2 comments:

Unk Dicko said...

Hi Maree,
Glad you are home safe and sound.
Saying Hello also to Celia and Margaret!
You can rest assured that baby Jordy is in good hands of 2 super Turnip parents!
Both of them are really up to it.
I can't wait to teach him some swimming, haha. Should not be a long wait anyway.
Cheers

Ferunk said...

I miss you heaps too! And I think Jordy can tell the difference between our fingers, haha... Anyway, you simply must post up some pics of your Chinese Box in your home, and of course that fabulous calendar when u decide on a spot for it :) Love you loads!