Friday, June 11, 2010

Postscript to Dora's Blog

Here's the Australian Cover for the Book Thief...

We also have the UK version; I liked UK cover but something about the above drew me in. I haven't seen the US one, but I agree with D, US covers seem a bit non descript to me too.

When I was spoiling myself with The Girl with the Dragon Tatt00 series there were a couple of covers to choose from & I went in search for the cover I wanted to live with. It will be interesting to see which cover reflects best our interpretations after reading ( for D & me to discuss at later date )

In the meantime I am very happy having another superb Rose Tremain story to emerse myself in.
It doesn't really matter what the cover is as I know it will be just exactly right...
..a serene snapshot; autumn in Cevennes France..exactly how I imagine those regions to be.
My only gripe is that it has a truly ugly stamp advertising that Rose is; Author of The Road Home..winner of Orange Prize etc etc...When you have been an avid fan since the 1970's it seems almost an insult. But I often forget that I have been following favourite authors for decades and there's probably two generations out there catching up. So, nice for Rose that she has a younger membership.
And whatever the cover, it is always such a joy & wonderful connection that D&D share & love the same stories that I do.

Here's a little story that was first published in 1930.
I know there are lots of wonderful stories about trains out there ( Thomas series; Jordy's cousins can supply him for years ) but there's something really nice about passing down stories that remain with you forever...no matter how many decades. Although I had to order it, the wee story about the little train "thinking he can" still lives on. The cover is just how I remembered it, it's just been squashed down to DVD size. maybe just right for little hands!


No comments: