Friday, May 28, 2010

Learning How To Relax

Oh Dear... I think the "Missing Jordy" project caught up on me & maybe for the first time in my life I am being forced to slow down & take it easy.....No regrets though - at least I have a nice wee space to recupirate

It's just SO frustrating to have such good things happening around the place & all I can do is sit back & watch: This is the carport which is finished now but I didn't have any hand it at all..."cept watch & be amazed at the good workmanship, & marvel at the changes.

So, what do I do all day...well I had three days off work !!!! That's a BIG thing for me, cos I think I am indespensible & now that I know that life goes on without me, I have spent 2 weeks coming home early afternoon.
Lots of sleeping & watching DVD's & I have also soaked up lots of books.
My favourite author of all time is confirmed:
Joseph O'Connor. I know it's a hard call.
Rankin ( Scottish ) O'Connor ( Irish ) I know..doesn't need explaining does it.
My sort of Fab List: ( not in fav order )
Margraet Forster
Rose Tremain
Denise Mina ( new found Scottish Thriller writer )
William Boyd
Kate Atkinson
Sebastian Fawkes
Elizabeth Jane Howard
Andrew Taylor ( very Dickenson )
Michael Connelly
Robert Goddard ( not quite Dickens, but almost )
Ann Marie Mc Donald
If any one of above release a newy I am the first to start looking. Sometimes I feel like getting in contact & telling them to hurry up for the next one...
Of course this doesn't count all those wonderful novels we come across;
A FINE BALANCE
BLACK LIKE ME
TO KILL A MOTTINGBIRD
GREAT EXPECTATIONS
THE KITE RUNNER
UNDER AN ORANGE SUN
A BOY CALLED DAVID
etc etc
My collection of O'Connor comes from my travels. I don't know why he's not on NZ shelves, but it's quite nice to search him out when I'm away... I don't feel guilty at all purchasing a copy from far off lands. It's so much fun when I find one.
I first came across him while travelling through Ireland, then I found one in Vancouver, & two from Singapore. ( Sing has best Bookshops!)
I couldn't believe my luck a few afternoons ago when I came acoss a J O'Connor book at a local 2nd hand bookshop. $9. If I wasn't on half time I would never have come across it!!!! He's NEVER in our bookshops.

So"INISHOWEN" was added to my collection, and it is just the most perfect story...
A Thriller, a Love Story, a family story with a Human Heart, a bit of Irish history, funny...sad, a page turner...almost worth being unwell & a few restless nights bearable. Thankyou Mr. O'Connor!!
I'll have to read "STAR OF THE SEA" again to see which of the two wins!
Have watched all of MAD MEN series 2 - ADDICTIVE.
Lots of DVD's - the only memorable's -
No Man's Land
Boy A
Rachel's Wedding

Of Course no writer, or DVD can match the magic that is Jordy!!! I cannot tell you how many times I have watched my wee Grandson wake up in his cot & say Mamma Ma...reee. Such a buzz. Really & truly, D&D should have copy right & they could be very rich.
And then there's wee Jordy out & about on a wee walk ( such a giggle ) & then again testing his independance going downstairs; confidently saying "up" with each step, and then, after his big adventure in the bath, relaxed & happy, giggling away & pleased as punch that he can say "ah choo!"

I Love David's new phone even more than he does. The best thing about technology is that us far away Mamma's can keep in touch & not miss too many precious moments.
So: There's a wee snapshot of my life at the moment. Very minute. Very singular.
Bring on Bali!




2 comments:

Unk Dicko said...

The countdown begins Maree, not that one in Africa...the one in July with the cutest J !

maree said...

I Know!! Can't wait to see you all again & especially Mr. You Know Who!